segunda-feira, 16 de março de 2015

Precious Jewel by forreststanley



*please view on black (press H M) There is a reason it is difficult to find quality images of the river corridor within the Grand Canyon. Most people's time is busy rafting. From camp and kitchen duties to gear repair and maintenance, from dynamic environmental forces to travel requirements, river life can catch up to even the most diligent of adventurers. There is the option to book a photo specific trip through an outfitter, but even then most of your time will be spent on non photographic endeavors, and you will be at the whim of the collective needs of the trip. Due to the nature of this voyage there is no way to escape these realities entirely. One can only mitigate some of the complications through simplicity and self containment in systems of travel and residency in the Canyon. With this in mind I set up my second Canyon trip of the winter to be a very small group of intrepid adventures, with whom I've traveled on many occasions, though diverse situations. The crew consisted of myself, my father and my good friend Eli with whom I've worked as a river guide for years. With us each having our own boat and personal knowledge of the Canyon, I was allowed to cater the trip to ideas of light and location, giving me the flexibility to chase rainbows whenever the opportunity might arise. On this day we had been pushing through a storm to make miles before camp. I had little expectation for good light, but towards the end of the day the clouds began to thin. Hoping for a storm break, I motioned for my companions to travel ahead and eddied out to climb ashore. Upon reaching the top of the Muav Limestone I was immediately drawn to this location. I quickly set up my composition, ecstatic to find one I liked without a barrel cactus, but winter storms in the Canyon can be dark - glimpses of the light become tenuous and fleeting. I spent many hours waiting in the It was rain and bitter cold for the light to break through once more. Knowing I had river miles to make yet, with several minor rapids I would now be running in the dark, I began to think I should pack up. I sat there with everything but my tripod put away and took a moment to soak up the scene - thinking a mental image is all I would take from this experience. But by the time the joint was finished the light had begun to change. The sun sank low and struck out from below the clouds. As I scrambled to set up my camera this rainbow materialized before my eyes, and after a brief but intense round of exposures the show was over. I made my way carefully back down the steep cliffs to my raft waiting silently below. Pushing off into the cold and dark, I could not suppress a smile, knowing I had just captured a unique and fleeting moment, with the culmination of skills I have accrued over the course of my life coming together in a pinnacle moment. This moment now resides inside me like some precious jewel - this image a reminder of it's worth. via 500px

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário